The other day I saw the most beautiful, mesmerizing pin on Pinterest: a light, fluffy pink lemonade cake with creamy white frosting. I clicked through to the recipe, but alas, it was not vegan. Shocker, I know. So this whole week, I’ve been obsessed with making a vegan version of this cake. After a couple hit or miss attempts (including a nice tasting but sad looking gluten free version), I think I finally got it right. I might be a few days behind on posts, but I was determined to make this cake and put it on the blog!
I realized when I was photographing this cake that I already have a disproportionate number of pink food items on the blog. For that, I apologize. Also, I’m sorry this cake isn’t exactly diet friendly. But it would be fun for a special occasion, like a baby shower, bachelorette party, or bridal shower. Or a Thursday.
This cake turned out very moist and spongy. I don’t bake that often, but I’ve found that vegan cakes and cupcakes typically have more moisture and density than their non-vegan counterparts. This is a good thing! I made a vegan cream cheese frosting, which paired perfectly with the lemon flavor of the cake.
Pink Lemonade Cake
Prep time: 25 minutes, Bake time: 35-40 minutes
makes two 9″ rounds
2 C vegan cane sugar
1/2 C vegan butter (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks), plus more for prepping cake pans
1 C applesauce
3 C all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C nondairy milk
4 tsp vanilla
1 small packet of powdered pink lemonade (about 1 tbsp)*
zest and juice from 1 medium lemon
few drops red food coloring (optional)*
vegan cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
*make sure these ingredients do not contain Red 40, which is made of beetles. If you cannot locate these items without Red 40, use 1/4 C of raspberry or strawberry puree to achieve the pink color.
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Prep two round 9″ cake pans with the buttery spread and flour.
2) Using an electric mixer, blend the butter and sugar until mixture is crumbly.
2) Add vanilla to mixture. Add applesauce, mixing in 1/4 C at a time until fully incorporated.
3) Add the flour and baking powder, mixing in 1/2 C at a time until fully incorporated.
4) Add milk, lemonade powder, lemonade mix and lemon zest. Mix until smooth. Fold in a few drops off food coloring at a time until the batter reaches the desired color.
5) Put half of the batter in each cake pan. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. (While cake is baking, prepare the frosting.) Remove from oven, and allow pans to cool for 10-12 minutes before removing cake and transferring it to a cooling rack. Allow cake to cool for 1 hour before frosting.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes enough frosting for two 9″ round cakes)
1/2 C vegan butter
8 oz vegan cream cheese (I like Tofutti brand)
3 C powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Blend ingredients together until smooth. Chill in refrigerator while cakes are cooling.